University of Jos Institutional Repository >
Medical Sciences >
Surgery >

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/608

Title: Percutaneous Ultrasound Guided Drainage of Abdominal Abscesses
Authors: Misauno, M.A
Sule, A.Z
Ale, A.F
Isichei, M.W
Ismaila, B.O
Ibilibor, C
Issue Date: 20-Sep-2013
Publisher: International Journal of Medical Imaging
Series/Report no.: Vol.1;No.2;Pp 23-25
Abstract: Intraabdominal abscesses are common surgical pathologies that result from a myriad of causes and require a high index of suspicion to diagnose. Majority of the patient’s present critically ill requiring surgical drainage. The traditional open surgical drainage is associated with a high morbidity and mortality. Percutaneous ultrasound guided drainage which entails either needle aspirations or image guided catheter placements for a thick abscess is a suitable alternative to open surgical drainage. This study was aimed at evaluating our experience with ultrasound guided percutaneous drainage of intraabdominal abscesses in a Teaching hospital in north central Nigeria. Methodology Consecutive patients diagnosed to have intraperitoneal abscesses in a general surgery unit at Jos University Teaching Hospital over a 24 month period were studied. Results Twenty four patients were involved in this study. There were 14 males and ten females giving a male to female ratio (M: F =1.4:1). The mean age of the study population was 40+/- 19.3 with age range of 10-70years. Ten patients (41.7%) had abscesses in the liver, 6(25%) in the pelvis and 5(20.8%) were subphrenic in location, 3(12.5%) were psoas abscesses. Fifteen patients (62.5%) had their abscesses drained by needle aspiration while the remaining 9 (37.5%) were drained through placement of Foley’s catheters. There was no mortality in this study. In conclusion, percutaneous ultrasound guided drainage of abdominal abscesses is a viable alternative to open surgical drainage.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/608
Appears in Collections:Surgery

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
10.11648.j.ijmi.20130102.12.pdf167.74 kBAdobe PDFView/Open
View Statistics

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.


Valid XHTML 1.0! DSpace Software Copyright © 2002-2010  Duraspace - Feedback