University of Jos Institutional Repository >
Medical Sciences >
Surgery >

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/815

Title: Adult Intussusception: The Jos Experience
Authors: Ugwu, B.T
Mbah, N
Dakum, N.K
Yiltok, S.J
Legbo, J.N
Uba, A.F
Keywords: Missed diagnosis,
Diagnosis at laparotomy,
Bowel tumours.
Issue Date: 2001
Publisher: West African Journal of Medicine
Series/Report no.: Vol.20;No.4;Pp 213-216
Abstract: Twenty two consecutive cases of adult intussusception managed between January 1990 and December 1998 at Jos University Teaching Hospital formed the basis of this study. Thirteen (59.1%) of the patients were males and 9(40.9%) females, with a male to female ratio of 1:4:1 and a mean age of 49.6 years. Most patients were referred late to our service as a result of poor index of suspicion and misdiagnosis. Laparotomy was done in all the cases and in 5(22.7%) patients no cause could be found, but in the remaining 17(77.3%) definite causes were identified which were mainly polyps in 7(31.8%) patients and colonic malignancies in 4(18%). The ileocolic intussusception was the commonest variety. Sixteen (72.7%) patients had bowel resection for colonic carcinoma, gangrenous bowel and irreducibility of the intussusception while manual reduction was successful in the other 6(27.3%) patients. The morbidity rate was and adhesive intestinal obstruction. Two deaths were recorded with a mortality rate of 9.1%. The oattern of adult intussusception as seen in the western world was observed in this tropical highland.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/815
Appears in Collections:Surgery

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
Adult Intussusception0001.pdf242.41 kBAdobe PDFView/Open
View Statistics

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.


Valid XHTML 1.0! DSpace Software Copyright © 2002-2010  Duraspace - Feedback